As union members, we come from all over the world and have all kinds of perspectives. We work in fields, plants, warehouses, and stores. We care for patients, students, customers, and more. But in our diversity, we have found common ground, a community: we’ve found our union, a thread that weaves through each of us and binds us tightly together in solidarity.
In a mosaic, the edges of each individual piece connect with each other and are bound by something. At Local 401, that something is our union solidarity – our common cause that brings us together. It is the thread that binds us tightly and with strength. Where every individual expression is bound to another, the collective fabric created by us standing together cannot be pulled apart.
The Fabric of 401 Project is intended as an artistic representation of and by the UFCW Local 401 family. With imagery from a variety of media, it crosses the borders of language, ability, age, gender, culture, perspective, and more. It showcases our union’s core values of diversity, solidarity, and strength presented as a mosaic, created in its entirety by the people behind Local 401 – our fellow members and their families. It’s an expression of our voice at work.
1. PARTICIPATE IN THE ART CONTEST – We are promoting an art contest to gather individual art pieces that will be sewn together to create the Fabric of 401 mosaic art project. This contest is open to all UFCW 401 members and their families. Multiple entries are encouraged, and there are great prizes up for grabs:
Grand Prize Winner –
Family Entertainment Booklet for a Family of Four, valued at over $1500
Second & Third Prize Winners –
Grocery Gift Cards, valued at $250 each
2. HOST AN ART BOX EVENT – Speak with your Art Box Leader, Shop Steward or Union Labour Relations Officer about hosting an “Art Box Event” at your workplace, where members can participate during breaks.
3. HELP US CREATE THE MOSAIC – Come and help us bring together the wonderful artistic pieces submitted from across Alberta. At the end of the contest, volunteers will be needed to help with the artwork submitted for the final piece, which will be unveiled in 2019. Contact Cori or Dee Mae by calling your union office, for details and to sign up.
1. Grab an ENTRY FORM from your Art Box Leader, Steward, Union Labour Relations Officer (representative), or from this page.
2. Now be as creative as you like, using one or more of the themes provided below. Above is a 4” x 4” square to use but you are not limited to it. As long as your artwork is 4” x 4” and can be scanned, it can be entered. You can use any medium you like (eg. painting, embroidery, sewing, collage, and so on).
3. Fill out your contact information in the entry form, and hand it in with your original artwork to your Art Box leader, Steward etc. or mail it to the address below. BUT before you do… don’t forget to share your artwork with a little video or picture on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) using the hashtag #401solidarity
If you prefer to enter by mail, send your original artwork and completed entry form to:
Fabric of 401,
UFCW Local 401,
Edmonton, AB T5L 4M8
Entrants may submit art inspired by union-related themes, which may include:
• Union strong (We are One – 401! Your Voice is Our Strength!)
• Our voice at work
• Solidarity looks like…
• Our union family
• My union is… (safety, strength, security, solidarity, community)
• A woman’s place is in her Union!
• Workplace safety
Post your artwork with the hashtag #401solidarity to one of these below:
The deadline for entries has been extended to midnight of January 15, 2019. The lucky winners will be announced by February 16, 2019. Winners will be contacted to coordinate delivery of the prizes.
This contest is open to all UFCW Local 401 (United Food and Commercial Workers Canada Union, Local No. 401) members in good standing and their family members. Multiple entries are welcome.
Your contact information is collected for union-related purposes only and will never be shared or sold. We will never spam you, and you can unsubscribe from our email lists at any time. Contest entry grants UFCW Local 401 permission to use submitted art for any purpose.