UFCW Local 401’s response to the proposed reopening of Olymel’s Red Deer Plant
Over the past 24 hours, your union has reached out to Olymel union members to gauge how they feel about the proposed reopening of the Red Deer Plant. Some definitive trends have emerged from that outreach.
- Over 75% of respondents indicated that they are scared and/or nervous about returning to work
- Over 80% of respondents are unsure if the Plant is now safe
- 75% of respondents indicated they do not fully trust Olymel to keep them safe
- More than 50% of respondents indicated they do not fully trust government officials to keep them safe
- Over 90% of respondents feel the Employer should compensate all Olymel employees for the temporary closure and introduce pandemic pay immediately
- Nearly 90% of respondents indicated that they have struggled financially during the temporary closure
As an open, transparent, and democratic union, we respond to the input our members provide. So we have drafted the following response to the proposed reopening of Olymel’s Red Deer facilities.
Click here to read our letter to Olymel.
Posted on: March 02,2021