If you’re injured at work, there are several important steps you’ll need to take to ensure you get the benefits you deserve from the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB). Your WCB Advocates at UFCW Local 401 are here to help.


Tell your employer. Notify your supervisor and any co-workers in your unit immediately.

Tell your doctor. See your doctor as soon as possible (this doesn’t have to be a company doctor). They should be able to tell you whether you can work modified duties or whether you should be off work completely.

Tell the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB). File a WCB claim online or through the myWCB app, call 1-866-922-9221, or contact your Union to have us send a claim form to you.


The WCB will review your injury. They’ll look at how it happened and the medical evidence related to it. Their policy requires that valid claims must arise from hazards and injuries in the course of your employment. They will try to determine whether that’s the case.

Stay up to date on the processing of your claim. Contact WCB at 1-866-922-9221 for your claim number two or three days after submitting your application. You should then be able to download the myWCB app, enter your claim number, and review your information.


If the WCB accepts your claim, they will contact you to determine several things:

Your Treatment Needs. This information usually comes from your family doctor and can include physiotherapy and chiropractic.

Your Work Restrictions. Whether you need modified work duties while you recover.

Time Off and Compensation Rate. They will determine whether you require time off and a compensation rate (usually based on your hourly wage multiplied by the number of hours you would normally work during that time, including overtime where applicable). If the WCB cannot determine a fair compensation rate based on this system, they may go back one year from the date of the accident to establish your gross earnings.

The WCB typically pays 90% of net earnings, with taxes, Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan deductions included. They will only pay time loss benefits if there is objective medical evidence of total disability (this means you cannot work modified duties, information that must come from your doctor).

Your WCB Advocates from UFCW 401 are here to help with every stage of this process. Click here for contact information and to learn more about how we can support you.