Camrose Safeway Workers Have Their First Lunch & Learn!
On August 5th members at the Camrose Safeway had their first Lunch & Learn event at their store. Education sessions about the benefits of belonging to UFCW 401, union swag, plus great food and fun was shared with all the members in attendance!
Local 401 Senior Labour Relations Officer Shauna Robertson and Shop Steward Teresa Kuefler informed members about many of the benefits of belonging to Alberta’s largest private sector union. Just a few of those discussed were:
- How to access all the courses available on UFCW Canada’s free online learning resource – webCampus
- The free courses available to them at their UFCW 401 office in Edmonton. Members receive their hourly wage while attending these 401 courses!
- All of the fabulous scholarships available to them (and their dependants)
- Detailed information about available health benefits and dental coverage was also provided
- Local 401’s Website, Facebook, and Twitter pages
There were give-aways to all who attended! Give-aways included: water bottles, belt buckles, lanyards, pens, pins, nail files, calendars, Collective Agreements, and a draw for 401 hats!
Entry forms were provided to win a $25 VISA Gift Card for 8883 members and a $100 VISA Gift Card will also be drawn between the four Safeway stores that Shauna services. Entry deadline and draw is August 20!
“I WILL BE STRONG IN 2017” buttons were distributed and members were reminded about the importance of wearing the buttons daily in preparation for Safeway-Sobeys Union Contract negotiations next year!
A big THANK YOU to:
- Store Manager John Larsen for his enthusiasm and involvement. John very generously provided pizzas and a huge fruit tray.
- Local 1118 Deli members for keeping the hot Safeway pizzas coming all afternoon!
- UFCW 401 for donating a beautiful large cake (made by the talented Safeway Cake Decorators Samitha and Lisa), pop, and chips. No one left hungry or empty handed!
- Shop Steward Teresa Kuefler for helping to decorate and organize this event.
- All of the wonderful members at the Camrose Safeway that participated in this fun and educational day.
Please share your new knowledge with your co-workers so everyone can take advantage of the benefits available to them through their union!
Store Manager John Larsen (L), Steward Teresa Kuefler, and Mellisa Smith (R) (who will soon be a Steward) await interested members to talk to about the benefits of belonging to 401
Lisa Pev, Cake Decorator, wins the UFCW hat draw!
Lisa and John showing off the fabulous cake enjoyed by all
Liz Martinson (R) and Brandy Francis partake in some of the treats and information
Michael Glambeck (L), Lorna Hartan, and Jace Botelelor (R) took in all there was to see at their first Lunch & Learn
Mike Taylor, Liz Martinson and Union Rep Shauna Robertson (R)
Some of the crew enjoying a well-earned break
Steward Teresa Kuefler & Store Manager John Larsen
2nd Assistant Manager Tim Falk, Shauna, John Larsen
Posted on: August 17,2016