Celebrating International Women’s Day 2016
Oppression to Opportunity is the theme for 2016 as we celebrate International Women’s Day in Calgary! Organized by the Women’s Centre of Calgary, this year’s theme is meant to inspire us to reflect upon the past, present, and future challenges for women, while acknowledging successes and achievements along the way.
The annual International Women’s Day potluck will be hosted at the Women’s Centre on March 8th from 5-8pm and will feature music, activities, and more! This event is open to everyone to attend and kids are welcome. Click here to learn more and to RSVP.
In addition to the annual potluck, the Women’s Centre will host a series of workshops which are open to the public:
- Feb 29: Domestic Violence in the Workplace. Discussions, strategies and acknowledgement of this prominent issue.
- March 1: A Look at Childcare in Canada. Understanding what the current situation is and what expectations we can have for the future.
- March 2: Social Issues Discussions Series. A panel discussion around 25 Percent: A Documentary which raises awareness about political and civic involvement of women in Canada.
- March 3: Self-Defense. Learn the basics about how women can stay safe in their daily lives.
- March 7: Let’s Cook Together! Enjoy a moment of gathering and sharing around amazing food. All supplies will be provided.
- March 8: Save the Date! It’s the big annual Potluck event at the Centre from 5-8pm! Prepare for an evening of celebration exploring women’s journeys from Oppression to Opportunity. Kids are welcome.
- March 9: Safety Walk. Join us on a walk through Bridgeland and Crescent Heights from 6-8pm to discuss challenges and strategies around safety through a gendered lens in our community.
To RSVP for the March 8th potluck or any of the workshops above, please contact the Women’s Centre of Calgary at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-264-1155. If you are interested in volunteering your time at the potluck, please contact Carole of the Women’s Centre at email@example.com.
Posted on: February 23,2016